Derek W. McGee
- J.D., Southern Methodist University, cum laude, 2007
- B.B.A., Baylor University, magna cum laude, 2004
Derek McGee's practice focuses on corporate, securities and regulatory representation of financial institutions. He regularly represents banks in connection with the acquisition or sale of other financial institutions, as well as the acquisition, sale, and establishment of branch offices. In addition, Mr. McGee represents strategic investors and banking teams in connection with de novo bank formations, as well as bank acquisitions. Mr. McGee's corporate and securities practice includes representation of financial institutions, placement agents and underwriters in public and private offerings of equity and debt securities as well as SEC reporting and compliance matters. In addition, Mr. McGee regularly advises financial institutions regarding regulatory compliance matters involving federal and state bank regulatory agencies. Mr. McGee has been a frequent speaker and writer on various banking issues.
Regularly advises banks and their boards of directors on strategic planning and related legal matters, including organic and acquisition growth plans, sale transactions, strategic mergers, corporate governance matters and capital raises, as well as on complex regulatory issues.
Representing financial institutions in matters including:
- Acquisitions and sales of banks and ancillary businesses
- Public and private capital raises
- Branch establishments, purchases and sales
- Formations of de novo banks
- Corporate governance
- Bank holding company formations
- Vendor contract negotiations
- Regulatory compliance matters
Mr. McGee frequently publishes articles of interest to the banking industry. He has published articles related to capital and strategic planning, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory matters, and corporate governance.
Mr. McGee is a regular speaker regarding legal and strategic issues facing the banking industry. He has presented for state trade associations, at regional and nationwide banking conferences, and at legal and accounting continuing education programs. Mr. McGee has also been involved with merger and acquisition simulation sessions to give bankers an understanding of the M&A process.
McGee and Hightower to Present at Acquire or Be Acquired
FKH Receives Five*Star Award for Fourth Time from IBAT
Community Banking Provisions in the CARES Act
Credit and the Coronavirus
Community Banking Amid COVID-19 Concerns
- Board Member, Independent Bankers Association of Texas
- Board Member, Independent Bankers Association of Texas Leadership Division
- Vice Chair, Associate Member Advisory Council, Independent Bankers Association of Texas
- Member, Texas Bankers Association
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Member, Financial Institutions Section of the Austin Bar Association
- Past Board Member, First Tee Greater Austin
- Licensed to practice: Texas
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in Texas Super Lawyers® and Texas Monthly magazine and as a Rising Star for Banking Law, 2015-2020